Friday, August 19, 2011

Mosquito Truck

I just read in our local newspaper that mosquitos in our area have been testing positive for West Nile Virus and that our township is going to spray our area to control the insect.

What a memory that brought back!
When I was growing up, we had a summer house in Ocean Gate, NJ. This was about 1 1/2 hours from our home in Linden. My mom would pack us up the week after school ended and we would stay there most of the time until the week before school started.

On summer nights us kids would wait for the mosquito truck to come down our street. Ignoring the adults who told us not to, we would run in the cloud of spray behind the truck as it slowly made it's way in front of our house.

Reading that article today brought me back 40 years ago to those days. If I try hard enough, I can almost smell that cloud again, and I can see us running around in it. Most likely it was not a great thing for us to breathe into our lungs, but all these years later, I don't have any reason to believe it hurt us.
Unlike the ice cream truck, I run for the freezer everytime a bell rings........now that is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment