Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The good ole days

Went to the movies Sat. nite. It has been a long time since I did that,
but it was my daughter's birthday so I joined "the girls" and we went.

Number One: I hate sitting in those chairs and having my shoes stick to the floor.
I am afraid to put my arm on the arm rest for fear of catching something and the chairs are very
stiff and uncomfortable.

Number Two: The price of the ticket and snacks is crazy! We went once and paid $10.00 for a drink and a soda!!! My kids suggested we stop at the Dollar Store this time and stock up putting our goodies
in my daughter's handbag, (which, by the way, was beautiful since it came from a wonderful website called It's A Woman's Bag which can be found by clicking on this link:
http://www.itsawomansbag.com and who are now having
a summer sale ... )

Sorry, got alittle side tracked....

Now, where was I? Oh, the snacks. I didn't think it was a good idea to hide Twix bars, Hershey kisses, Snickers, Sweedish Fish, Chips, Dip, Crackers and Cheese, Slim Jims, Coke, Water, Iced Tea, and Dr. Pepper in a handbag and sneaking into the movies. My kids jumped on that one:
they do this all the time, the people at the cinema expect us to do that, nobody cares, we could do this or pay $226 buying snacks at the snack bar in the movies. The last one got me so after loading up my daughter's bag, we went through the doors hoping the secret cameras that beep when you bring in unauthorized food wouldn't catch us.

Number Three: I miss the Drive-in movies. They were the best. Summer nites, windows down except the one that had the speaker coz you had to roll up the window until the speaker held tight.


That is unless you pulled up to a speaker that didn't work. In that case you cursed as you pulled out from that spot and drove around to find another empty speaker and by now the movie was starting and you miss the beginning. Now you really are cursing.

But, you could bring anything you wanted to snack on -it was your car- heck you could even barbecue if you wanted to! Sometimes we would lay a blanket out on the hood of the car and lay there to watch the movie. And you paid by carload not each person so it was very affordable.

Well, we go into this cinema and we find it was almost empty. Maybe 15 people tops so finding a seat was a piece of cake.

Now to the movie. Sherlock Holmes. At first we were bored. The british accents were very thick and the dialogue was very fast. My kids suggested we leave that one and sneak into another one since this cinema had 6 movies showing at
the same time.

I was shocked! I told them they dragged me here and their feet were going to stick to that floor (literally) until the movie was over! Hiding illegal snacks is one thing-- getting caught climbing over the border is criminal!

After awhile, we got used to the accent and the story was interesting. Mystery is my thing so I was happy to keep watching. There was alot of fighting which I didn't care for. I mean really. How many times can someone get knocked down, crashed over the head, stabbed, thrown and kicked without calling
for 911?

In spite of all that nonsense, I recommend the movie to anyone who cares to venture out to a cinema.


As for us old timers--we can catch it on dvd. We can even wait till summer, hook up our portable dvd on the picnic bench , lay on a blanket on the hood of our car, and pig out on hamburgers and hot dogs from the grill and pretend we are in another place, another time....

Ahhh the good ole days!


No comments:

Post a Comment