Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Did you ever try to give a bull a bath?

That's exactly what I felt like I was trying to do tonite. We have 2 dogs: Binky who is a 4 yr old English/American Bulldog mix & Trixie who is an 8 month old Black Lab/bulldog mix.

Trixie has been getting a bath in our tub since we got her at 8 weeks old. Binky, however hasn't. I never thought of it. We just took him to the vet and they did it for us.But as time went on (we got Binky at 6 weeks old), he got bigger and bigger and he is very hyper, so taking him anywhere began to be too much of a hassle.

Trips to the vet are fun for him~ horror for us. He thinks he is still a puppy and wants to play, jump, run and lick everyone and anything possible. I know, our fault for not training him right away. (I kick myself every time I think how dumb that was!)

My daughter,Megan, works at a pet store. They have a 'do it yourself' dog wash. Ummmm...I wonder....So we loaded Binky in the car, but of course, we couldn't leave Trixie home alone (she has never been alone before) so in goes Trixie as well.

Driving with 2 dogs breathing down my neck wasn't bad enough, but the windows are all fogged up from the heavy breathing..(and, no , there wasn't anyone making out in my back seat!) Binky can open the power windows by stepping on the button so I have to keep windows locked.

OK. 5 minute drive to pet store. My daughter is there. My husband gets out first to scope the place and see if there are too many customers and if the dog wash area was clear. Slowly open the car door and hand the leash to my husband, Megan comes and is standing by the stores automatic doors, Dogs are dragging my husband to Megan, I am trying to catch up.

They are in the dog wash area by the time I get in the store. Binky was not having it. No way was he walking up the gang plank and getting into that tub. My husband breaks his back trying to pick him up and get him over the bin. Binky is holding onto the side of the tub with both paws. Now Trixie is upset and trying to get to Binky. I am holding Binky with all my might as my husband gets the water going.

Scrub, wash, scrub, wash.........sure wish someone would do that for me sometime! Binky begs to have his back scratched at home.........welllllll we are scratching.........yoo hoo...........relax and enjoy Bink!!

I take Trixie for a walk around the store and Megan helps my husband. Me & Trix cruise up and down the aisles. We stop at the back of an aisle to talk to a customer and out of the corner of my eye.......couldn't be........yep.....brown butt in motion.......Binky has escaped the dog wash!!!!!

Thank God he spots Trixie. He comes running over to us. My husband is right behind and nabs him. Still wet we drag him and Trixie back out to the car. Now I have to deal with the fogged windows AND the smell of wet dog in the car. A 5 minute drive was accomplished in 3. I was so glad to open the car door and get some air.

I learned my lesson.........pay the vet or pay for obedience school.......first thing Monday morning I will call them both!


No comments:

Post a Comment